Email Lists: Why they matter and How to build one
It seems that every effort is about how you can get your consumer’s attention and for how long can you maintain it on your brand. However, while there is importance in building a social presence, at the end of the day, social media is “rented space.” This means that at any moment the algorithm can change or you could lose all your followers, which means that you will lose the ability to talk to the entire audience you’ve worked so hard to cultivate.
Email is a space that you own. Your email list is a sacred list of people who have grown to love you and have invited you into their inboxes. They cherish what you have to say and if they don’t, they unsubscribe. This means that your unsubscribe rate isn’t necessarily a bad thing as long as your message is aligned with your goals. If your message is aligned with your business and your overall goals, then the unsubscribe rate just means your list of people you are speaking with is also aligning more with your goals.
So, how do you get people to even sign up and give you their precious email?
Create something they can’t say no to! Create a freebie that makes them jump with joy and say “gimme gimme!” Something that aligns with your business like the 27 Free Content Ideas we created just for YOU! This is a kickass lead magnet that will get those emails rolling in!
Well, what should you create?
- I’m a business with a physical product; proving a freebie won’t work for me!
WRONG! When are you launching your next product? Want to get your consumers pumped about it? Add a pop-up or a page teasing about it and have them enter their email address to be the first to know when it’s released.
- I’m a service based business but I can’t give away my work for free or else I’ll make no money!
WRONG AGAIN! The thing about offering a freebie is that it shows your potential consumer the kind of work you do, the thought process you take, and makes them want to read the emails you send full of helpful info!
- My business is a non-profit; I quite literally have nothing to offer for free.
NOPE! Let’s get creative here . . .You’re most likely looking to reach potential volunteers and definitely potential donors. That means you have a number of great options:
- Offer them a freebie that explains the tax benefits of donating to a non-profit
- Categorize the different types of volunteering you offer and have them put in their email for updates on when those events are happening
- Reel them in with a gritty, yet beautiful success story that your non-profit has and then tell them they can enter their email for more inspiring stories just like the one you just shared with them
Building your email list is SO. VERY. IMPORTANT. We send our emails out and share our landing pages through ConvertKit. They offer some really great benefits and really grow with your business.
So, what’s stopping you from starting your email list right now?